Saturday, June 18, 2011

Getting There! (Mr. Frei)



Greetings, Gentle Reader,


The Mini is packed here in Baltimore, Brian will soon be in the air from LA, and in hearing this you have learned of essentially the only element of this adventure that is - or can be- set to the clock or calendar. Son Matt will reliably convey us across the border on Monday, and after that it’s catch as catch can; the watches will come off as our attention will shift to hands, hearts, backs, and derrieres (each our own, of course).

Packing a Mini for journey in a Guide Boat is good practice in decision-making; Brian has sent two pallets on ahead to my mom’s house, so I’m anxious to see what cargo awaits. I know he’s planning to bring a stove to heat water for morning Starbuck’s Vias (and he’ll hear no derision from me on that score), but my suspicion is that he’s a bit of a gadget man and all contingencies will be covered. Brian is a strong rower; he’ll pull what he wants. Was it the pro-gun Jesse Helms who once said, “I have more guns than I need…but not as many guns as I want.”? It’s the same with gadgets in the boat.

So I’ll be in the car heading north in a matter of a few minutes….but before I leave, I must sing my heart’s song to the unsung hero of MY trip: Peg. Peg, thank you for enabling me to depart for three weeks with a light heart and only a modicum of guilt. I spend too much time at school, too much time grading papers on “our” time, and in anticipating this trip I have not pulled my weight lately. I love you for a host of reasons, but at this moment I’ll add that I love you for your generosity with the one finite resource that we most want to share: time. I love you.

All of my literary references are packed in the car, but in addressing the latent competition inherent in a team row, Brian has written that he may be “the first to a meal…the first to a shower…”. I can assure you, Gentle Reader, that we will contest for the food with vigor, but I’ve traveled with Brian and believe me when I tell you that he will be the first to the shower.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

On the water on Tuesday. Mo’ Latah’.

Mr. Frei

No comments:

Post a Comment