Sunday, May 29, 2011

Exciting Addition to the Row!


Greetings, Gentle Reader,

Woah! There have been some important developments since we last talked!
The route is confirmed, transportation to Ontario is secured, necessary spare boat bits have been ordered from our dear friends at Adirondack Guide Boat up in Vermont, the fundraising apparatus has been established….and the clock ticks inexorably towards June 21, the first day of summer, for our first sweep of the oars.

Fundraising first, OK? Happily, the Pledge Paddle is beginning to move; it’s past $700 and accolades will be shouted out soon in a later blog. But the point is, Gentle Reader, that climbing into this metaphorical boat to support Boys’ Latin’s wonderful families and their sons’ education has never been easier. Simply go to the Boys’ Latin website at www.boyslatinmd.com and click on “Support BL”. Or, easier yet, click on the Pledge Paddles on this site and- voila!- I’m told that you will then be right at the “Support BL” page where you can fill out your donation information and even print a receipt. Just be sure to put a “comment” on your pledge referencing Row Canada or Mr. Frei in some way so that I can circle back and thank you.
Easy, yes? It’s so easy, in fact, that if you do it right now, I’ll be waiting for you right here when you get back. Go ahead, I’ll wait. It’s OK, really! Go ahead.
There. See? Thanks!!

“But…hey!! Wait a minute, Al! You said, “our first sweep of the oars” a minute or so ago. “Our”? Why, if I’m not mistaken, that’s a plural possessive pronoun!”
“Correct-O-Mundo!” Gentle Reader! Tops among the recent developments is the concrete, absolute, irrevocable commitment of virtual brother Brian Rooney to accompany me on this row. What was “my” row is now “our” row. What was a solitary meander is now taking on an ‘expeditionary’ quality. What would have been contemplated in solitude will now be a shared experience. What would be “I” is now “us”, and I’m delighted- boyishly delighted, in fact. Brian and I grew up on the water together, went to camp and school together, and have remained close, close, close ever since. So, this is good. I cannot think of better company than Brian.
But… it also promises to be complicated in a Felix Unger - Oscar Madison Odd Couple kind of way.

He calls me about provisions. He calls me about shorts and shirts and life jackets and shoes and flashlights. For example, I tell him that he should bring two flashlights because when you lose one, you can find it with the other. He tells me that I shouldn’t lose one. The truth is, I love it. The bonus is that Brian is an experienced oarsman and well knows that we have more serious matters at hand than sartorial selections or menus. He knows that the ultimate truth is this: can we get up each day, row for ten hours or more, and do it again the next day….for three weeks?

I also hope that Brian, gifted writer that he is, will soon add his voice to this unworthy tome. Brian, we’re going to be doing a lot of rowing together; how ‘bout some writing together? We might get a coffee table book out of it.

Gentle Reader, my schedule is about to include the frenetic closing weeks of school: fashioning a new final exam, wrapping up ten months of work, saying goodbye to wonderful boys and their families, putting the early foundations under next fall’s work…all of this prevents me from being the relentless blogger that I’d like to be. I see another entry out later this week but, in the meantime, let me know what you might want to hear about. Just write a comment or two as this thing unfolds. For example, you may be wondering:

 How does one prepare for 502 miles of rowing?
 Will Brian be Oscar or Felix?
 Why is the Adirondack Guide Boat simply the very best vessel for this kind of adventure?
 What’s that new eighth grade English Final Exam ‘gonna look like?
 Son Matt is taking us to Ontario for our start; is there any chance that he’ll jump in the boat and come with us?
 How will Canadian locks compare with those of the Erie Canal? More importantly, will the Lock Keepers (always capitalize; they have your fate in their hands) facilitate our passage with the same positive encouragement and spirit as their American counterparts?

So many questions…so few blogs.
More are coming.

Thanks for your pledge and support; the row is always more fun when it’s doing good for someone other than myself.

Big Ups,

Mr. Frei

No comments:

Post a Comment